Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What day is it?

We made it to Rome! If this post doesn't make sense it's because I've pretty much been up for over 24 hours now. I got up at about 9AM on the 16th and it seems like that day just hasn't ended yet, even though it's the 17th now. It's 6:20 Italian time and we're calling it a day.

So the plane ride. UGHHH. That's all I should say about it. I'll keep this part short. Maybe not. On the plus side, I got to watch the Hunger Games, which passed some time. On the down side, when it was time to go to sleep, I luckily (I thought) had about 3 seats to lay in between me and the man at the other end of our row. Unfortunately, I forgot that me and sleeping on planes don't mix. I get paranoid that a flight attendent or an inconsiderate passenger is going to take my feet off if they hang over the edge of the isle so every time someone comes by me I wake up. There was a guy in front of me snoring so loud, I don't know how he wasn't keeping the whole plane awake too. Anyway, needless to say I didn't sleep much.

Then we land in Rome! Finding our bags and getting transportation to where we are staying was a little tricky but we managed. We took a shuttle from the airport to our villa. At first, Rome didn't look anything like I expected. There were gas stations, billboards, chains, even a McDonalds. The landscape was what I expected, but everything else was out of character. Once we got further in, it changed and the cobblestone streets and old buildings on top of each other came into play. After we drug our luggage up 4 flights of stairs (ask me how fun that was) and the girl showed us how to use 3 different types of keys, we finally felt like we had made it!

Our villa is within walking distance from the Colosseum, so that's what we did today. I wish I would have watched gladiator before I came now. The Colosseum is enormous and you can pretty much walk around everywhere except for the arena part where they held the gladiators. I really couldn't believe I was there. It's kind of hard to imagine it being used as an arena for death and entertainment (like the hunger games :)) but I did think about it while I was there, and how so many people died there. Inside the arcades are lots of exhibits showing different artifacts like pottery, mosaics, and other things that used to be in the Colosseum. Overall it was really cool and I'm thrilled that we got to see it. Also, practically right next to the Colosseum is the Arch of Constantine, which was built to commemorate Constantine's victory over Maxentius in 312. It was awesome seeing that also because I studied it in school.

The sleep deprivation and heat got the best of us after that. We stopped and ate "dinner" and now it's time to sleep, finally.

Best things about today: I saw the Colosseum and made we made it safely to Rome!!!
Worst things about today: No sleep. Also, foreign people really stink! It's called showering y'all... try it!

Walking towards the Colosseum!

The Colosseum

You know, some gladiators... escaping.

In the Colosseum!

Again

The Arch of Constantine

Mom at dinner!

1 comment:

  1. My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

    ReplyDelete