Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Angels and Demons

We are in Cinque Terre. It is really beautiful, on the coast. I haven't been able to write because we don't have free wifi and I have to go to the internet cafe.

Our last day in Venice, we went to San Marco's and toured the Basilica. It was beautiful and gold. The symbol in a lot of early Christian art for Mark, the lion, was everywhere, which I thought was really cool. We ate lunch and mom bought a painting from a guy who was painting outside the square. Then we went to Lido, the beach outside of Venice. It was really unimpressive. The circle at AB is prettier, and that's saying something. We took the bus boat back to Venice, showered, ate and walked around. We took some more pictures and called it a night. Overall, Venice was charming.

The next day we got on a train to Cinque Terre, which is 5 small islands that mom really wanted to see. They are all very beautiful. Google image them. On the way, we had to get off the train in Florence and get on another, and only had 10 minutes so we missed our connection. We finally got on a different train, to La Spezia, where we had to make another connection to Cinque Terre. Sometime on that train, someone stole my suitcase. I was facing the opposite direction of the bag and mom was facing towards it. It kept falling over, so we laid it on the floor. It was lime green. We never had a clue.

I know it's just stuff, and stuff can be replaced. I know I should be thankful that my laptop, cell phone, purse and medicine weren't in it. But the things that were in it were special to me, even if they were clothes and jewelry. I lost the shirt I was wearing the night my niece was born, I lost the dress I wore at midnight when I turned 21, I lost my favorite pair of jeans that I wore on a special first date. I lost almost every piece of jewelry that boyfriends have given me in the past, that I didn't even mean to bring on the trip, but that I thought would be safer in my suitcase rather than my purse. I connect clothes and things with memories, and it's been really hurtful to lose those things, and know that someone is probably selling them on the street to some random person. I haven't cried that much in a long time. It is really, really sad to me to know that someone is so desperate that they need to steal other peoples things off of a train in order to live. I haven't felt this sad in a long time. I don't want anything to do with Italy.

When we got to Cinque Terre, we had nowhere to stay. Luckily, a British guy, who turned out to be a real angel in a day filled with demons, went completely out of his way to find us a place to stay for last night and tonight. He was truly a blessing.

Today in Cinque Terre (we're on the island of Monorosso, google image it) we're going to do a little hiking and go to the beach, and I'll need to get some clothes, underwear, a bra, etc. because I still have nothing to wear except for the dirty clothes I wore on the train. There is nothing I can do about my things, they're gone. We filed a report with the "polizia" who are a joke. They said if they found it, which wasn't likely, they would give it to the embassy in Rome?? So it's gone. And I'll just have to get over it. We still have 4 weeks in Europe. I guess I learned my lesson.

Pictures tomorrow if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment